Sunday 5 March 2017

Time is a Valuable Resource!

4th March - Vbites - Brighton

It's my last day of being 40.  I am in Brighton - enjoying a date with myself.  I see a tradition in creation; last year I spent the day on my own in Windsor.

And, on my 21st birthday I did the same:  a day in Leeds - some shopping, some lunch in the Victorian quarter...

Doing this helps me to re-group and re-focus my priorities, which re-affirms my search for balance (is if a sign or a coincidence that the yoga studio above this cafe is called 'About Balance'?!)

In Maya Angelou's book 'Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now', 1993, she writes about the benefits of having a day away - catching a train alone somewhere new and exploring.  It's stuck with me ever since.

I read it in my late teens, so for over 20 years it has been one of the nuggets of advice I have carried with me ~ as I get older I want away days more and more!

Maybe this is just because my attention span is wavering? Or is it that work is unfulfilling and age has no choice but to remind me that time is a valuable resource I want to spend wisely?  In my 40th year I have worked this desire.  What a year!

It kicked of with a fundraising party on March 5th - money to go to my chosen charity for the London Marathon, which I was running the following month  - Able Child Africa.

It was amazing.  So great to celebrate with Ron and the kids, the rest of my family and friends, and my lovely work colleagues.  I felt wanted and loved and supported.

But mostly I felt free and alive!  It was almost as if this was the wedding party I never had....but that life was fake, and now, here I was, awakened and alive - allowing myself to be real and true.  It was liberating.


Some party-people!

Then in April we took a trip to Sri Lanka.  How lucky I felt - how wonderful to experience this great, diverse island - now in peace, but still somehow bore the wounds of atrocity that had been revealed in Channel 4's The Killing Fields and of course the tsunami that devastated the south coast.

There, we travelled simply.  I loved hanging out in the cabana with no mod cons and sleeping outside, meeting lovely gentle people and eating really tasty food.

I was training for the London Marathon along Unawatuna beach, and two days after I RAN IT!



Us in Sri Lanka - super chilled!  And me and Tiff marathon-ready!


And the world continued to present me with wonderful opportunities throughout the year:
I spend a fantastic few days with my best mate in Marrakesh....in a riad, up a mountain, and in the Yves St Laurent gardens - an absolute oasis....the stuff of dreams....with wonderful food and conversation.


Me and Tam - it's nice here innit?! ;)

We spent a few sunny days camping near Swanage with other lovely friends - drinking bubbly overlooking the beach was a highlight!  


 Love a bit of camping and champagne by the sea 

And at the end of the summer we travelled to Estepona (which has the most outstanding street art)...staying in a private villa with a pool (and a menagerie of animals, beautiful garden and the best meditation chair and spot EVER!)  For two weeks we entertained family from England and Gibraltar.

Then our camping friends, whom I introduced, tied the knot in September....and two months later WE BOUGHT A HOUSE!  Which is a whole other (good) story all in itself :)

We had Christmas we the lovely Baileys in Portsmouth and then over to my family in the Cotswolds, New Year was in the best place - BED!  And in January we went to Ibiza - where I got a Taijitu tattoo! And, it was also January 1st when my vegan adventure began.

My girl settled in well at her new school and my boy, turned 18 and knuckled down to his A levels.

The only thing that has been truly rocky is been work - specifically my ability to cope with the monotony - despite the freedom it brings.  And my health actually.....I've gained over a stone since this time last year.

So, what's the conclusion?

40 HAS BEEN GREAT! I am VERY lucky.  I am secure in my home, with my family and in my relationship.  I am not gloating.  I hope it doesn't come across that way.  I am truly grateful. 

In the coming year, I strongly believe I must keep moving towards a more ethical way of living.  I would love one day to earn a living doing something that truly nurtures my soul and contributes to the world.

And, I want to be healthy.  Exercise and diet need to remain more consistent.  I want to live well for as long as possible!!

BUT....I am going to get back on that tip on Monday!  The abundance of vegan eats in Brighton has seduced me into two cafes today - once for a 'cheese' burger and chips - at The Loving Hut http://thelevel.lovinghut.co.uk/ (which was amazing) and then later for a gluten-free carrot and orange cake and tea - which I am eating while writing this!  In Vbites http://www.vbites.com/


Super yummy vegan food!

Anyway, tomorrow is another day.  BRING ON 41!  I am ready now..... can't wait to see what you have to offer!




A sunny September day by the Bailey's beach hut in Portsmouth.  Good times!














No comments:

Post a Comment